Tuesday 13 December 2011

The Happy Sound of Me...

... ticking more items off my list of things to do. Yippee!

Last night was a sewing of a different kind. It involved me, Helen and Emily and a massive bowl of popcorn. Our tree is now adorned.


Then today it was back to the gift making. It was a very successful day. First off I made another cushion with more of the charm squares from the Etchings. Finding natural light to take photos was not so easy as the sky was black and wet snow was blowing for a little while.



This was a simpler, easier cushion to make which is obviously why I managed to make it so quickly. I used the unbleached cotton for the backing again. And a fast and furious FMQ for the front quilting.



Next job was using the newest fabric I had purchased to make a tote bag. I did not use a pattern. A lot of that had to do with the fact that I had a friend over to chat with and drink tea with while I sewed. I used my basic knowledge about bags and went with it. The straps may be a little long, but then the recipient is taller than me (most people are). And the bag might be a little deep but it would be perfect for a Saturday morning shop for a weekend paper and croissants.


I even managed to put in a zippered pocket between all the talking and tea sipping!



And reinforced the handles in case that Saturday paper is a whopper!



Two big items crossed off the list of things to do. I am really, really pleased by that. Haven't done my secret Santa but I am going to start remedying that tonight. I have some ideas. Sorry, but I won't be able to show any of that here or else I wouldn't be such a secret Santa, but I do hope my partner likes what lands on her doorstep, when it lands on her doorstep!

Susan

20 comments:

  1. Great bag and cushion! I'm afraid the popcorn would not have lasted long enough around me to get strung lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok, don't tell me you made the popcorn as well! Another beautiful cushion Susan! You are smokin! (shhh, don't tell any one, but I haven't started my secret santa either - must do some stitchery today!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely done...bags are always nice gifts. You are really pushing them out. I on the other hand am getting NOTHING done. But I am leaving early today in hopes of getting something done. Not only that I am soooooo over work today!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute bag and kudos for winging it while sipping tea with a friend - I`d have completely botched it. The popcorn is really effective - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The popcorn looks wonderful! Love the cushion and the bag!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job Susan, love those two fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. fabulous bag, love those colours. And I love the cushion too

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeez woman!! How many hours do you put in? Do you really sleep, really?? Well done, I was impressed enough with the fab cushion and pretty bag, then I see the bag has zippy pocket too? Thank God you havent done secret santa yet, that at least makes me feel much better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, show off, two finishes! Right, that's it, I'm sending some of my list down ;o)

    Love both the cushion and the bag, sure they'll be appreciated by their new owners

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness...you are a regular whirlwind of activity and finishes. Are you smoking crack?

    I love the cushion and the bag ..both are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great bag- love the polka dots!! You are on a roll now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. 'Are you smoking crack' is the funniest comment I have ever read!! Go Shay!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous bag! And the cushion looks lovely too :-) Sounds like fun, tea sipping, chatting and sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! You're such a multi-tasker sewing zips and entertaining at the same time - super woman or what! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. i think we're channelling the same bag fairy - i made one too, a tad too long, without a pattern, with an inside zipped pocket and reinforced handles - can't show mine though as it's a gift for someone who reads my blog - will do so after christmas. love yous and i love that cushion - etchings really is a gorgeous range

    ReplyDelete
  16. Don't you just love crossing things off your list. If you run out of things to cross off I can send you my list!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That bag is sooooo beautiful ! Is there anything you cannot do??

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sew fast! It would take me a week to do these, with a tutorial and without anyone distracting me!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fantastic makes! I love the bag, Mary Poppings style deep bags are a requirement in our house!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.