Thursday 12 July 2012

I Scream, You Scream...

... we all scream for ice cream.

Yesterday, as I said, I made ice cream. Vanilla to be precise. Today I am making the brownies for the Chocolate Fudge Brownie Ice Cream. But that's today and it isn't done yet, because there has been much busyness going on. So I will tell you about yesterday instead.

I am not a huge food snob - well not too much. I love food. I love junky food as well as really, really good food. I hate reading food labels sometimes though. Because when I do read the label of something that I like it can put me off it. And, quite honestly, I often don't want to be put off it. Even if it isn't particularly good for me.


We all know that ice cream, in the scheme of things in life, isn't the healthiest of options. It is a treat though. And I do feel better about it if I can make it from five ingredients rather than fifteen or so.



I whipped two eggs with 3/4 sugar. (Though that amount of sugar is the Ben & Jerry's recipe amount and I actually use less.) Then I add in 16 oz of double cream and 8 oz of milk. Plus 2 tsp of vanilla. I like the vanilla bean paste as you get the nice gritty vanilla seeds in that.



That's it. If it is all blended then put it into your ice cream maker.


It takes about 20 minutes to churn. And, if your ice cream maker is designed like mine is, you can stick your finger in and taste it as it freezes. Needless to say sterilising your finger between dips! When it is ready it will be of a soft scoop consistency but if you put it into a container and pop it in the freezer it becomes nice hard ice cream - which is the way I like it. Perfect!


I got two containers 2/3 full with this recipe, just so you have an idea how much it makes. I will let the lot who are coming round here on Sunday tell you if it is any good or not. (It is!)

Susan

24 comments:

  1. Looks so yummy! My mother would make fresh peach ice cream every summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks great! And I am with you on the Only 5 ingredients part. Sometimes I cant even pronounce some of the things listed on the label!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it is good, I got to have some of your ice cream! I have a machine here, you are motivating me to get it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmpff! I suppose it looks ok. Don't like the sound of chocolate fudge brownie homemade ice-cream at all. - Can you tell I'm only a wee bit miffed?

    Looks fab really Susan and lovely to see you indulging in the things you love best in prep for your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds very similar to the recipe I use (love that vanilla paste stuff!) so I must get organised and make some!! Yum.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. That double ice cream maker is pretty cool. What time on Sunday, I forget😄

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've got my spoon at the ready and will be enjoying some vicariously on Sunday ;o)
    Thank you for the recipe, now to find my ice cream maker!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am SO coming to dinner! Maybe after your guests go.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy. It will be a hit! Di x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh Yummy! Maybe my real answer is leave now and start walking to make sure I get some ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks good, like the look of the vanilla paste, must try some.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't have an ice cream maker :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now that might be one of the recipe books I need to dig out...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, my lottery numbers didn't come up last night! Ugh! Not going to make it for this Sunday, after all! Save me some ice cream! MAybe by the time you get some real summer weather I will be there! LOL! Looks yummy- BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks so lovely - and I bet homemade ice cream tastes so much better than the bought stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! You make ice cream! It looks delicious. But for those of us in Canada, what is double cream? Would it be what we call whipping cream, about 35% milk fat?

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh that looks fantastic and I am sure it tastes amazing too! I have a breadmaker which comes out every now and then when I am feeling all housewifey! No icecream maker for me or I would be the size of a house!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nothing compares to homemade ice cream. Nothing.

    Now, I've got to get an ice cream maker. Such powers of influence you have, Susan! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well, I don't even like ice cream, but your post has made me want to try yours!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I won't be making it there on Sunday either, so please can you save me some too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I read them all and I love them all. I do my utmost to reply to comments as often as possible. If you comment and never receive a reply from me there is the possibility that you are a no-reply commenter.